24 April 2010

Stupid Victorian place names

One of the things I enjoyed about my time in Victoria was reading the map.  Seems like the early settlers named places by getting high and taking a random flip through the dictionary, or just making up new words for fun.  Try these favourites on for size:
  • Pakenham Upper
  • Mt Little Dick
  • Chinkapook
  • Tangambalanga
  • Dandongadale
  • Yarck
  • Drung Drung
  • Tittybong
Ok, I understand that some of these stem from the language of the places' traditional owners, but they're still rather entertaining to say aloud in your helmet.

2 comments:

  1. Repeat after me, in the most twangy Lee Kernigan Aussie accent you can muster... Dan Don-ga Dale... If you're not laughing right now, you're not Australian. Ü

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know me Marge, I can't even say the word "Tittybong" without giggling like a little school girl. tee hee hee...

    ReplyDelete